DO YOU KNOW WHAT DAY IT IS?
Except I didn’t exchange recipes. There was a mix up with people being left off and then dropped out and then back in. (I really wasn’t the best coordinator this time around) So I picked something from my own collection. This gem from 1965:
I am in love with this one. I mean, what’s better than that gorgeous kelly green? Maybe that there are more than 250 delicious one dish meals!
Casseroles, meat pies, stews, soups, skillet specials, and full-meal salads and sandwiches. Everyone of these ‘kitchen-gested” recipes has been specially designed to fit into today’s pattern of streamlined meal planning and simplified table service.
I need some streamlined shit in my life right now, believe me.
Anyhoo, this is Chicken-Sausage Pie!
I picked this specifically for two items I found particularly intriguing:
- “topped with Chicken Littles”
- “surprise of hot fruit”
Now, I don’t want to call out Betty Crocker–but I’m totally going to call out Betty Crocker– this recipe doesn’t belong in a cookbook called Dinner in a Dish. It markets itself as a book full of one-dish meals. This called for SIX individual casseroles (4 of which I had to buy through Amazon).
To make the dough I followed the above recipe. But I used my stand mixer and did sub butter for the shortening, because they don’t carry shortening nor lard at Trader Joe’s.
To my surprise, it worked out quite well. You see, I have a checkered past when it comes to pastry.
Here’s how to make those intriguing Chicken Littles:
I also bought a chicken-shaped cookie cutter (thanks, Amazon!) for the occasion as well.
Oh! The occasion was also the 4th of July. I dunno, chicken pot pie screams AMERICAN, amiright?
Here they are:
(yes, I totally went there).
I think I did pretty well with my recreation.
And that hot fruit surprise? Surprisingly good. Well played, Ms. Crocker.
Now, go check out some hot Pieathalon action from all across the web!
- Dr. Bobb heard it through the grapevine with Lemon Raisin Pie
- Get blotto with Jenny’s Rum Pie
- Cathy goes Italian with Torta di Pistacchio
- Poppy goes nutty with Nutty Caramel Pies
- Mandee gets sweet with Angel Pie
- Susie’s Waffle Pie is hot off the iron
- Do a little dance with The Hedonist’s Cheese Meringue Pie
- Greg goes classic with Vintage Apple Pie
- Taryn takes us to the the softer side of pie with Fluffy Lime
- S.S. combines sweet and savory with Apple Cheese Pie