Twin Peaks Tuesdays: Coop’s Breakfast

In one of the series’ best moments, hell, one of tv’s best moments, Agent Cooper, in the dining room of the Great Northern Hotel, sips a damn fine cup of coffee and orders a very specific breakfast.coopertumblr

Now, I’d like two eggs, over hard. I know, don’t tell me; it’s hard on the arteries, but old habits die hard — just about as hard as I want those eggs. Bacon, super-crispy. Almost burned. Cremated. That’s great. And, I’ll have the grapefruit juice, just as long as those grapefruits…… are freshly squeezed.

For this week’s Twin Peaks Tuesday, I was going to prepare Cooper’s breakfast order because I do have bacon and eggs in my fridge. But then I realized that I didn’t know how to make an egg “over hard.”

eggs-over-hard

This is an egg over hard

I have since found out (directions here). But honestly, I prefer my eggs, as we say in Pittsburgh, DIPPY. Weird fact: I’ve seen them called dippy eggs on menus here in Baltimore. What’s up with that?

And I didn’t want to cremate any bacon. I like mine with the edges crispy but still a little chewy.

And I can’t have grapefruit because it interacts with one of my medications. Another fun fact: apparently grapefruits, and other fruits from the same family, fuck with a lot of meds. I don’t know exactly what it would do, or why it does it, but I don’t want to find out.

So I scrapped the breakfast idea. Plus, I was in Chicago a good portion of last week and when I got back I really wasn’t in the mood to cook anything. So just enjoy the scene. Great delivery by Kyle MacLachlan.

This entry was posted in Brunch, Eggs, Etc., Food and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Twin Peaks Tuesdays: Coop’s Breakfast

1. angryquilter says:

Coop has good taste. I’m always in the mood for a damn fine cup of coffee (and donuts). I didn’t know “over hard” existed. I’m not a fan of eggs, but I would try that…

2. Angie says:

Not that you made this post to take everyone’s order but I figured I would put in my 2 cents. I am with you eggs over easy, super easy, dangerously dippy shell we say, like close to getting salmonella. I am weird with bacon. I want 2 pieces one like he ordered super crispy like a giant bacon bit and one super floppy, like just warmed up. there is something wonderful about each texture especially the fatty bits at the end. I am lucky that grapefruit doesn’t mess with my meds but it is citric and it does mess with my asthma if I eat to much. I would rather have the grapefruit then just the juice. I have to eat it just like an orange, can’t wait for winter when they are back in season. Now I am super hungry and have already had breakfast. Would breakfast for lunch be weird? If so, I am so in.

I think that breakfast for dinner is one of life’s greatest simple joys.

Go with your bad self and have breakfast for lunch. Isn’t that basically brunch?

• Angie says:

I think it is brunch if it is your 1st meal of the day, this would be my second and I am working so no mimosas and it ain’t brunch without mimosas.

3. Ruth says:

Well, I don’t know who made those eggs in the picture above, but there’s too much “lace”, as my husband calls it, on the edges. Makes for kind of a nasty taste, liek eating the scorched bits that stick to the pan when making scrambled eggs. And, just for the record, I like my eggs slightly runny, too, when I poach them. Actually, a lot runny! Guess that’s the same as your “dippy” eggs (so you can dip toast in them, maybe)? The best way to do a fried eggs is in a little grease, not enough to deep fry them, of course. You let the egg sit and just spash the hot grease over it until everything is done to your desire, use your spatula or whatever you use, Take them out when done and enjoy. Much easier than trying to flip them over and the yolks don’t break as often. And I do love crispy bacon! Just almost burnt crispy, yummm. Can’t do grapefruit or pineapple, to acid to make my tummy happy, love tomato or V8, but have the same problem with it. Finally settled on grape juice for breakfast, and not that tasteless juice coctail stuff either!

Poached/coddled are my favorite, but they actually take some work.

Isn’t the acidity the worst??? If you have heartburn/refulx problems, let me suggest unfiltered apple cider vinegar. Totally sounds weird and counter-intuitive, but gosh darn golly does it work!

I might have to have eggs for dinner tonight.

4. Retro Rover says:

I just love twin peaks to death, but not for over hard eggs yuck! I do like coops bacon and maple syrup combo nothing beats the taste sensation of bacon colliding with maple syrup

5. Brad says:

Just found your blog. Nice work!

6. Pingback: Twin Peaks Tuesday: Maple Syrup | Dinner is Served 1972