Beverage Bonus: The Liberace

OMG you guys. Did everyone watch Behind the Candelabra?

Um, if you didn’t you need to get on some HBO ASAP or find someone who subscribes and then watch the shit out of it.

How can you not?

Behind the Candelabra has this:

Sheer Shirts, Sparkly Speedos: Behind The Candelabra's Best Fashion

Haaaaaayyyyyyy!

and this:

Sheer Shirts, Sparkly Speedos: Behind The Candelabra's Best Fashion

And I am totally not gay!

This:

Rhinestone Wangboy

Bust out the Bedazzler!

And THIS:

Yes, I am Rob Lowe.

Yeah, in case you don’t remember, Mr. Lowe starred in another one of my favorite TV movies looking like this:

Drew Peterson - Untouchable 1

I’m untouchable, bitch.

That man has range! Where is his goddamned Emmy?

Anyway, here’s the big question: how do the TV execs know when I’ll be home for a visit so I can watch big TV movies wtih my mum? They gave us the chance to watch the Lindsay Lohan train wreck that is Liz & Dick over Thanksgiving, and for Memorial Day we got Michael Douglas in an assortment of wigs and a lot of Matt Damon tushie. Thank you, Steven Soderbergh!

The movie features a lot, I mean A LOT of caftans:

Sheer Shirts, Sparkly Speedos: Behind The Candelabra's Best Fashion

Pensive caftan

Shoes

Christmas caftan

Liberace

Peacock caftan

So the only logical step was for me and my mum (a.k.a Blondonna), to drink cocktails and wear caftans during our viewing party!

Caftanpalooza

My mum is pretty fucking rad. She’s holding a bottle of Bacardi 151.

Liberace Cocktail

Pretty glasses!

Liberace Cocktail

In shot glass combine:

• 1/3 Kahlua
  • 1/3 milk
  • 1/3 Bacardi 151

Light on fire. Let burn. Blow out. Cool for a few seconds. Shoot.

CHEERS!

Liberace toast

Big shots

It was tasty. To quote my Aunt Marie (as she described a Brandy Alexander): it tastes like candy! My brother had one the next day and described it as an “old man drink.” Well, yeah it’s an old man drink–a flaming old man drink!

Here is the trailer to whet your palate (as if the photos above weren’t enough):

And, as an extra-added bonus, here is Brian GIVING FACE. Evil, evil face.

I will eat your soul.

I will eat your soul.

This entry was posted in Beverages & Cocktails, Recipes, Retro Recipes and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Beverage Bonus: The Liberace

1. Dillon says:

Seriously, I have a caftan… Where was the phone call? I guess you need some sort of bat signal, maybe in the shape of a martini glass. I would come running…

2. Jenny says:

This film is in cinemas in London THIS WEEK and I am going in a kaftan for sure and having a Liberace coctail after. What the fuff is Bacardi 151 and where can I get me some?

3. Mum says:

damn, we look cute in our caftans!

4. Wow, that cocktail sounds amazing! I’m sorry I missed the movie..

5. Michelle says:

I watched it. It is awesome. Worth 10 years worth of premium cable charges just to watch Rob Lowe for the 5 minutes or so he appears.

6. thismumrocks says:

OMG look at the hair! I wonder if the hair dressers/stylists could keep a straight face when getting these guys ready. :)

7. Lisa Wakelam says:

Soderbergh said he was retiring from film making after this one. Hope not. Thank somebody for HBO because nobody else wanted a part of it.

I find it odd that the studios passed because they thought it was “too gay.” That befuddles me.
      I bet that Soderbergh is retiring the way that Cher retires–he’ll be back.

8. tarynnicole says:

Right, I’m petitioning all Australian tv networks to show this immediately. I need to see it! And I’ll be drinking your cocktail when I do! xx

Check and see–it may be coming to the theater. They deemed the movie “too gay” (whatever that means), so it was on HBO in the states. I know that it is getting a theatrical release throughout Europe.

I hope you get to see it!

9. Erin says:

Loved the movie too! And digging the mom-daughter caftan pic. Just pure awesomeness.

10. Pingback: Four Roses Eggnog & Weenie Wreath (2013 Version) | Dinner is Served 1972

11. Pingback: Beverage Bonus: The Mary Pickford | Dinner is Served 1972

12. Yinzerella says:

Reblogged this on Dinner is Served 1972 and commented:

This is a Throwback Thursday of sorts.

I was sick yesterday, so I was home, high on Dayquil and napping. I thought that it would be a good time to start watching “House of Cards,” but WOW that knocked me out. I’ve heard such good things, I guess I’ll have to give it another try, but damn, that was as good as college basketball (as nap-inducing television programming goes).

But I digress. In order to keep our week-long Liberace Celebration keepin’ on, I’m just re-posting something from last year summer.

But it’s a good one! (Matt Damon in a Speedo) And now you’ll have the absolute perfect cocktail to toast Lee on Friday.

And speaking of tomorrow–tomorrow I will have a brand, spanking new dish for you, from “Liberace Cooks!” So stay tuned.

Until tomorrow, kittens!