Nic’s British Sausage Rolls

This quick and easy (2 ingredient!) recipe comes from my brother, Nic. When he was in Sunderland, UK for art school he came across these little tasty treats and liked them so much he recreated them at home. Hence the name Nic’s British Sausage Rolls.

This recipe is the epitome of mangiacake or caker food, which is an Italian-Canadian slang word for a Canadian person of Anglo-Saxon descent (it might be a little derogatory, but oh well). It’s also used to describe delicious dishes made from as few convenience food ingredients as possible–like any casserole involving Cream of Mushroom or Cream of Celery soup or most anything your Aunt Louise would bring to a pot-luck. I suggest you let Brian over at Caker Cooking explain it to you since it’s because of him I know what any of those words mean. And his site is a treasure-trove of comfort foods.

The 2 ingredients in the British Sausage rolls are frozen puff pastry dough and sausage (bulk or removed from casing). I used Bob Evans Savory Sage. You could use any type of sausage, really, depending on your mood (Italian sausage would be like little calzones–maple sausage would be breakfast appropriate).

Two ingredients. One. Two.

Here’s how to do it:

1. Defrost the puff pastry dough.

2. Roll it out and cut each sheet in half.

3. Fill it with sausage.

4. Roll it up.

5. Seal dough with a bit of water.

That's about 1/3 cup sausage.

6. Slice the roll into appetizer-sized portions (I got 6 pieces per roll) and decoratively slash the top of the roll. I did little crosses.

7. Put on lightly greased baking sheet.

8. Top with egg wash (1 beaten egg with 1 tbsp water)

9. Bake in 400 degree oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until top is golden brown and sausage is cooked through. Makes 24 rolls.

These turned out great. Unless you don’t keep an eye on them and make sure that they don’t burn, these are fail-proof.

I was able to make these after work and get them to a weeknight holiday party still-warm. They were a big hit. At a party with a copious amount of leftovers, there wasn’t a single sausage roll left.

Seriously, the next time you have to bring a quick dish to a party or are hosting a cocktail party of your own, give this one a shot.

I thank my brother for bringing this dish from across the pond.

Cheers!

This entry was posted in International Cuisine, Recipes and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Nic’s British Sausage Rolls

1. Godzilaw says:

Holy Schnikeys! These look amazing. I cannot wait to make them! Thanks!!!!!!

2. These look so yummy! I am going to try this on the weekend, and I shared this link on my page too. And Thank you so much for sharing my Skittles Vodka tutorial on your page :)

3. Lauren says:

We’re not from Canada, but I have a few aunts and cousins who would probably qualify as “cakers.” I’ve been to several holiday/birthday/graduation parties and I couldn’t find a single item that didn’t have some processed food it. Frankly, it always makes me feel a little bit like I’m going to break out into hives. But, then again, I’m a horrible snob.

I do love packaged puff pastry, though. I can’t even imagine that it could possibly turn out well if I tried to make it. Sausage rolls sound really yummy, especially for wintry weather!

4. Erica says:

Drool.

Do you think other stuff could be added with the sausage — cheese, diced onion or pepper, something like that to bulk it up a little more? (I’m picturing sort of a hot pocket.)

I don’t see why not. But I’d decrease the amount of sausage so there’s room for the rest of the stuff. Using this puff pastry I think you could make all kinds of stuffed things.

5. Karen says:

Cooking doesn’t have to be complicated to be good and these look good.

6. rachsmith says:

I shouldn’t like sausage rolls….because I was doing so well at being vegeterian—at least two weeks in—until one of these little beauties called out to me…and I ate it. Shame! But I love LOVE them!
    Thanks for dropping by my blog, and mystifying me with the concept of geletin marzipan—I’d never heard of that! Look forward to see how it goes. x

7. Pingback: Lockerman Dip | Dinner is Served 1972

8. Pingback: Wiener Wednesday: Sausage in Biscuits | Dinner is Served 1972

9. Pingback: Wiener Wednesday: Swiss-Frank Roll-Ups | Dinner is Served 1972

10. Pingback: Wiener Wednesday: National Pigs in a Blanket Day | Dinner is Served 1972