Readers’ Choice (the midpoint)

I am getting sooooooooo very close to the halfway point of the cards. Can you believe it? I can’t believe it.

So to commemorate this epic achievement I thought that I’d let you choose which card will be my 55th dinner. If you recall, the last time I asked you to vote, the winner was Sauerkraut Casserole. I experimented with the crock-pot to mixed results.

I have selected a variety of dinners but they are all full-day types of meals that include a lot of marinating and chilling and setting and glazing. And there may be some baking.

I’m not posting pictures because I want you to select a dinner based solely on what’s on the menu–not how godawful Marjon Promotions, Inc. (sorry!) photographed the food.

Here they are without further ado:

25. Sauerbraten, one of the national dishes of Germany

• Sauerbraten
  • Spaetzle (Card #95)
  • Red Cabbage
  • Bavarian Rye Bread
  • Shoo Fly Pie (Card #96)

52. Shish Kebab, the middle eastern delight

• Lamb Shish Kebab
  • Cracked Wheat Pilaff or Buckwheat Groats
  • Fried Eggplant (Card #93)
  • Bread Sticks

60. Orange Duck, or in France Duck a l’Orange

• Orange Duck
  • Wild Rice
  • Green Beans Almondine
  • Dinner Rolls
  • Whipped Jello Parfaits
There you have it. So make your choice. Also, you can vote as many times as you like if for some reason one of the meals particularly speaks to you. Voting will be open for a while because I still have a good number of meals to get through.  So get to it.
This entry was posted in 1970s, Recipes, Retro Food, Retro Recipes. Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Readers’ Choice (the midpoint)

1. iamsurly says:

I need to know what Shoo Fly Pie really is…

2. Yinzerella says:

It’s a Pennsylvania Dutch (AMISH) pie with molasses. At least, that’s what I think it is.

3. JenEngland says:

Also, Duck a la Orange was my mother’s favorite fancy meal growing up. When she found out ducks mate for life, rather than removing it from her arsenal, she simply chose to serve two ducks at a time. We never had just one duck after that. Also, flambe was her favorite final flourish for any meal, so duck a la orange was always served with a flambe of gran mariner. If that wins, you should definitely set it aflame!

4. Salome says:

How can I not vote for something called “Shellfish Jello Brunch?”

5. Dillon says:

I kinda voted AGAINST the Shellfish Jello Brunch… just typing it made me a little uncomfortable…

6. Veg-o-matic says:

Well. you did say we could vote as often as we want…

7. Yinzerella says:

Veg-o-matic, I don’t know who you are, but I like your initiative. This means that all the fish Jell-O people will have to get their shit together.

8. Pingback: 81. Veal Paprika | Dinner is Served!

9. Jennifer England says:

So when are you going to make the Seafood Jello Brunch…I’m giddy with anticipation!

10. veg-o-matic says:

Sauerbraten must win! I’m not sure why, though. Oh, yeah; it’s because you call it “pot roast from the motherland.”
    I like that.

11. Dillon says:

I’m with V-O-M… In fact, I saw in a different post that Veg-o was stacking the deck, and had to come on over and be sure that he/she wasn’t voting for vomitous fish jello death brunch.

12. Pingback: Half. Way. There. The 55th Dinner! | Dinner is Served!